Pets on Holiday
WHAT ARE PET SITTERS AND HOW CAN THEY HELP?
We can’t take our pets everywhere and leaving them alone or at an unfamiliar boarding
kennel is often unimaginable. Pet sitters are people who come to your home and take care
of your pet while you’re away.
Pet sitting can include dog walking which offers not only exercise but companionship as
well. The difference between a pet sitter and a boarding kennel or doggie daycare is the
fact that the pets remain in their home, where they’re often more comfortable.
BENEFITS OF PET SITTERS
• At home, where pets are familiar with their environment,
they’re often happier and experience less stress.
• In terms of routine, your pet sitter can be asked to stick
to your feeding and exercise times.
• The stress associated with travel is no longer an issue
(for the pet or its owner).
• Your pet is less likely to fall ill because he’s not exposed to other pets
and unfamiliar environments.
Some pets, with specific health needs or that suffer from separation anxiety, may have to stay at a pet sitter’s home.
Sometimes owners have to move to a guest house or temporary accommodation (due to, for example, renovations)
where pets are not allowed.
PET SITTER SERVICES
Some pet sitting services also include grooming, training and waste
removal, but companionship and exercise remain key. Ideally, pet sitters
visit twice a day and can even stay the night. Tasks can include:
• Providing exercise (usually walks) and playing with pets
• Cleaning bowls before feeding and topping up water
• If required, administering pet medications
• Cleaning: litter boxes and other messes
• Giving lots of love and affection
Owners may also ask pet sitters to bring in mail/newspapers
and adjust lights and blinds.
WHICH TYPE OF PET OWNERS COULD BENEFIT
FROM HIRING A PET SITTER?
• Owners going on vacation
• Owners who travel for work
• Owners who become injured or ill
• Owners with unusual or long work hours