FOODS, MEDICINES AND OTHER ITEMS
CATS SHOULD NEVER EAT
Cats are smart, curious creatures and even though they are wonderfully resilient,
there are some things they should never eat. Here’s a list of common feline toxins
which include dangerous foods, medicines and more:
• HUMAN OR VETERINARY DRUGS: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and antidepressants are especially dangerous (and sometimes
fatal). Make sure all meds are locked up, including cold and flu medications
as well as ADD/ADHD meds/amphetamines.
• PERMETHRIN: Many topical flea control products for dogs, dog shampoos,
fly sprays and ant powder contain permethrin, so be very careful. Keep your
cat away from treated dogs as permethrin may cause severe drooling,
tremors and life-threatening seizures.
• POISONOUS PLANTS: There are many plants that are toxic to cats, especially
flowers as well as insoluble oxalate plants, for example, Dieffenbachia and
Philodendron. Lilies can cause acute kidney failure (the petals, pollen and
water from a vase containing lilies).
• INSECTICIDES, CHEMICALS AND PESTICIDES: Dangerous products include
lawn and garden products, sprays, powders and granules. Warmer months
increase the dangers. In general, try to keep your cat away from recently
treated areas. Also keep your cat away from rodent poison.
• HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS: Think any all common (and uncommon cleaners),
for example toilet bowl cleaners, laundry detergents, drain cleaners and
carpet cleaners. Hide these products and when you clean don’t leave any
Other Poisons and Dangerous Products to Keep Away from Cats:
• Glow sticks
• Liquid potpourri
Your Felix or Feona might be clever and resourceful, so always make sure your cat(s) NEVER have access to any of these
things. Also share this information with your friends, family and cat sitters.
If your cat has ingested any of these items, make your way to the nearest vet immediately.
If possible, take the product’s container, packaging or label with you.