AWS WARNS OWNERS TO BE VIGILANT OF THEIR PETS’ WHEREABOUTS DURING COLD WINTER DAYS
Source: News24 (Extract)
Posted: July 15, 2021
The Animal Welfare Society of South Africa (AWS) has warned pet owners to be extra vigilant with their pets after a cat found its way into a tumble dryer.
The incident happened in Hanover Park last Wednesday, when the cat’s owner accidentally locked it in the tumble dryer for about 10 minutes.
By the time she noticed that her beloved cat was frantically trying to escape, it was almost too late. She ended up rushing it to the AWS.
According to AWS, the cat had climbed into the dryer looking for warmth when the owner accidentally switched the dryer on.
According to the AWS, this was not the first time that cats were being brought into the shelter under these conditions.
Perrins said during winter, pets craved a warm and draft-free place to sleep.
“We have rescued and treated many who were found stuck in washing machines and under car bonnets.”
Another pet owner who went through a similar ordeal, Liza Callian, said she had to take both her cats to the AWS in Stellenbosch recently after they sustained extensive burns.
“It’s the most heart palpitation moment ever! I had thrown my clothing into the dryer and did not bother checking inside before switching it on.”
Callian added only after five minutes, when she had wanted to put in more clothes, did she notice the cat’s faces turning around inside the dryer and panicked.
“I shudder to think what would’ve happened had I not come back to throw more clothes inside the dryer.”
The AWS said this was common among cats as they found unusual spots to lie in when seeking warmth.
It added: You would be forgiven for thinking that this is an isolated incident but every winter we see a lot of similar cases.
Another pet owner, Jackson Sithole, said he was grateful his furry friend, Tom, of seven years managed to escape unharmed from his tumble dryer.
“These animals give me stress,” he added.
According to Sithole, his cat was spinning inside his tumble dryer for just under five minutes when he noticed him.
Luckily, he managed to escape with minor burns on his belly and ear.
“We are calling on pet owners to be constantly aware of the whereabouts of their pets, especially cats and kittens which are instinctively inquisitive, adorably mischievous, and love nothing more than to seek out a cosy place to rest – sometimes to their detriment,” Perrins stressed.
OCTOBER 13, 2021
CAPE TOWN TEEN DEDICATES HIS TIME TO HELP SICK STRAY DOGS
Sivikele Mgwadleka, 13, from Philippi, Cape Town, says he “can’t wait” to finish school so he can study to become a veterinarian. >>
OCTOBER 13, 2021
RABIES IN WESTERN CAPE: OFFICIALS PLEAD WITH RESIDENTS TO VACCINATE PETS AFTER RABID DOG EUTHANISED
Western Cape residents have been urged to be extra cautious with their pets after yet another rabies case was detected – this time in Gordon’s Bay. >>
OCTOBER 10, 2021
CANINE CAPER: CAPE TOWN WOMAN PAYS R500 RANSOM AFTER DOG KIDNAPPED ON TABLE MOUNTAIN
A Cape Town woman was forced to pay a R500 ransom to a gang of dog-nappers after her 12-year-old Jack Russel, named Jolie, was taken on Table Mountain on Saturday. >>