How to Keep Pets Safe During the Holidays

Holidays are for relaxing, doing fun things and spending time with loved ones, which can include your dear pets. If you want to take your pet with on holiday, you should be aware of dangerous situations and poisonous objects.

HOLIDAY FOOD

Any human food that’s within reach is fair game so make sure your pets don’t have access to it. Some products can even be deadly. Top threats include alcohol, xylitol, chocolate, fatty foods, grapes and raisins.

GIFT WRAPPING PAPER

All tempting presents should be placed out of reach, whether you’ve wrapped sweet treats for family members or treats and toys for your pet. If you’re not careful, your pet could help itself to the wrapping paper and the entire contents, all of which can be poisonous.

MEDICATION FOR HUMANS

Most pets are curious by nature and keen investigators. You might keep your medicine in a safe spot, but family members and guests may not know the drill. Make sure everyone’s on board.

SNOW GLOBES & LIQUID POTPOURRI

Both contain a very harmful chemical and can be deadly. Place them in a spot where they can’t be reached by your pet or knocked over by people.

PLANTS AND FLOWERS

Research the area where you’ll be spending the holidays and ask your hosts about the flora. The following plants and flowers are dangerous (toxic or can lead to illness):

  • Amaryllis
  • Christmas Tree
  • Poinsettia
  • Christmas Cactus
  • Lillies & Daffodils
  • Holly & Mistletoe

CHRISTMAS TREE & DECORATIONS

The tree itself, especially the needles, can cause severe illness and gastrointestinal issues. The tinsel, wreaths, ornaments (plastic and glass), candles and tree lights pose a massive threat as well. Also keep pets away from the tree once it’s been watered. The water may contain dangerous bacteria, molds and fertilisers.

BATTERIES

We don’t always remember how many holiday objects require batteries. Be sure to keep battery powered items out of reach. To be safe, check toys, greeting cards, electronic devices, flameless candles and remote controls.

SALT

This one may sound strange, but things like play dough and salt dough ornaments can be life-threatening when consumed.

FIRE STARTERS

Always keep these out of reach.

IF YOUR PET CONSUMED ANY OF THE ABOVE, OR EVEN IF YOU JUST SUSPECT IT, VISIT A VETERINARY IMMEDIATELY.

Related Articles

How To Tackle Pet Transport During Holidays Read Now

Tips For Safe, Stress-free Pet Travel Read Now

Accessories & Equipment For Safe Car Travel Read Now

Pet and Car Travel: Health And Safety – Cats & Dogs Read Now

petlifesa-general-ad-set-slider-01-FIN
petlifesa-general-ad-set-slider-02-FIN
petlifesa-general-ad-set-slider-03-FIN
petlifesa-general-ad-set-slider-04-FIN
petlifesa-general-ad-set-slider-05-FIN
petlifesa-general-ad-set-slider-06-FIN
petlifesa-general-ad-set-slider-07-FIN
previous arrow
next arrow
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
error: Content is protected !!