We’re excited and honoured to feature South Africa’s second largest independent animal welfare organisation on PetlifeSA for one year, starting July 2019.
Poison Dangers For Cats
Poison Dangers for Cats
Cats are smart, curious creatures and even though they are wonderfully resilient, there are some things they should never eat.
Here’s a list of common feline toxins which include dangerous foods, medicines and more:
- HUMAN OR VETERINARY DRUGS: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and antidepressants are especially dangerous (and sometimes fatal). Make sure all medicines are locked up, including cold and flu medication, as well as ADD/ADHD medicines/amphetamines.
- PERMETHRIN: Many topical flea control products for dogs, dog shampoos, fly sprays and ant powder contain permethrin, so be very careful. Also keep your cat away from treated dogs as permethrin may cause severe drooling, tremors and life-threatening seizures.
- POISONOUS PLANTS: There are many plants that are toxic to cats, especially flowers and insoluble oxalate plants, for example, Dieffenbachia and Philodendron. Lilies can cause acute kidney failure (the petals, pollen and the water from a vase containing lilies). Review a toxic and non-toxic plant list to be safe.
- INSECTICIDES, CHEMICALS AND PESTICIDES: Dangerous products include lawn and garden products, sprays, powders and granules. Warmer months increase the dangers. In general, try to keep your cat away from recently treated areas. Also keep your cat away from rodent poison.
- HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS: Think all common (and uncommon cleaners), for example toilet bowl cleaners, laundry detergents, drain cleaners and carpet cleaners. Hide these products and when you clean don’t leave any excess.
Other Poisons and Dangerous Products to Keep Away from Cats
- Glow sticks
- Liquid potpourri
Your Felix or Fiona might be clever and resourceful, so always make sure your cat(s) NEVER have access to any of these things. Also share this information with your friends, family and cat sitters.
IF YOUR CAT HAS INGESTED ANY OF THESE ITEMS, MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE NEAREST VETERINARY IMMEDIATELY.
If possible, take the product’s container, packaging or label with you.