Cool Cat Cafés Around the World
Check out these cool cat cafés found in some significant cities around the world.
But First: What is a Cat Café?
The café part is pretty obvious: a place that serves beverages and perhaps light meals. People go to regular cafés to catch up with a loved one, meet someone new for the first time, read a book or to get some work done. Add ‘cat’ to the equation and you have a different type of café where furry companions await to keep you company. So, in a nutshell, cat cafés (also known as themed cafés) are places where you can be around or interact with cats.
Good to Know: You can’t just open a cat café. They need to be properly regulated.
DID YOU KNOW?
Cat Flower Garden, the world’s first cat café, opened its doors in Taipei, Taiwan in 1998 after which the concept really blossomed in Japan.
Cat Cafés Around the World
- United States Cat Café, Los Angeles
- United Kingdom Cat Café, Liverpool
- South Africa Cat Heaven Rescue Cat Café, Somerset West
- Spain Cat Café, Barcelona
- Czech Republic Cat Café, Prague
- Poland Miau Café, Warsaw
- Hungary Cat Café, Budapest
- Ukraine Cat Cafe, Lviv
- Thailand Neko Cat Cafe, Phuket
- Japan Cat Café Takeshita Street, Tokyo
- Australia Catmosphere Café, Sydney
- New Zealand Barista Cats Café and The Cat Lounge, Auckland
Cat Cafés in South Africa
Enjoy tea in the garden while surrounded by beautiful hypoallergenic Siberian cats at Cat Café in Lonehill, Johannesburg. By appointment only.
Coffee Cats Café & Tea Garden in Willowfield Crescent is a coffee shop at the Durban & Coast SPCA. They serve great coffees and light meals.