We’re excited and honoured to feature South Africa’s second largest independent animal welfare organisation on PetlifeSA for one year, starting July 2019.
Responsible Pet Owners Month In A Nutshell
Pets are not accessories, they’re family members. They have feelings and deserve the best care. That’s why there’s a whole month, namely February, dedicated to them.
So, in honour of Responsible Pet Owners Month, here’s what you need to know about being a responsible pet owner, in a nutshell.
What are the Key Categories of Pet Care?
1. SAFETY 2. HEALTH 3. HAPPINESS
- Pet-proofed home
- Microchip: test it annually
- Prevent straying / escaping
- Clean, dry, safe and warm shelter
- Accessories/equipment for safe travel
- Stress-free lifestyle and fear-free environment
- Emergency plan and equipment: first aid, emergency contact details and evacuation plan
- Fresh water
- Nutritious food
- Regular exercise
- Regular grooming
- Routine vaccinations
- Waste-free living spaces
- Routine visits to a veterinarian
- Routine parasite prevention treatment
- Adjust your pet’s diet with age or if they develop a condition
- Veterinarian visits after injury or whenever you suspect illness or pain
- Physical affection
- Mental stimulation
- Undivided attention
- Socialisation (if they enjoy it, some don’t)
- Company: pets get stressed and depressed when left alone for too long
Additional Advice and Tips
- Consider pet insurance
- Budget for emergencies
- Don’t get more pets than you can properly care for
- Obey rules regarding pets where applicable/relevant
- Make sure there’s someone who can take care of your pet if you no longer can
Happy Responsible Pet Owners Month!